It’s never too late for a good snack. And you’re not celebrating new year’s eve without eating ‘oliebollen’ (literally: oil balls). Get the best oliebollen recipe from the Learn Dutch Online blog to end 2019 like a real Dutchie right here, right now!
Ingredients best oliebollen recipe ever (4 people):
750 grams of flour
1 tablespoon of salt
35 grams of butter
10 grams of dried yeast or 30 grams of fresh yeast
750 ml of milk
3 teaspoons caster sugar
200 grams of white raisins
200 grams of blue raisins
2 small gold trays
Cinnamon to taste
Mixer with whisks or food processor
Clean fryer or old-fashioned (enamel) fryer
Sunflower or soybean oil
2 large mixing bowls
2 bowls or shedding
Lots of kitchen paper
Clean tea towels
Preparation for the best oliebollen ever in 2020!
Peel the apples and cut into small cubes.
Heat the milk to room temperature.
Melt the butter in a pan.
Put the raisins in lukewarm water and pat them dry with kitchen paper.
1. Put the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix the yeast and the sugar with a little warm milk and add this to the flour. Pour in the milk bit by bit to create a smooth mass.
3. Now stir in the beaten eggs until they are completely absorbed in the batter.
4. Add the melted butter.
5. Add cinnamon to taste. Don’t be too frugal; you can safely add a tablespoon or more.
6. Carefully mix the raisins and apple pieces in the batter.
7. Divide the batter between 2 bowls (or use 1 very large bowl or clean bucket) and cover it with a warm, damp tea towel. Place in a warm place and let rest for about an hour.
9. Heat the oil to approximately 160 degrees.
10. Dip the spoons in the hot oil and make small heaps of batter. Gently slide them into the oil. Do not make them too large and do not put too much in the oil at the same time! If the bulbs do not turn by themselves, submerge them for a second; usually they turn around.
11. Remove the oil balls from the pan if they are evenly brown. Let it lay above the pan and then place it in a bowl or colander with kitchen paper. Place a layer of kitchen paper between each layer of oil balls.
12. Only sprinkle the oil balls with powdered sugar if they have cooled down sufficiently.
Related: learn how to make REAL Dutch pancakes here..
Enjoy your meal!
Serving tip for the best oliebollen recipe ever
It must be possible to make around 50 oil balls with this dough.